X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is it time for tougher penalties?

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post
    there is no allowance "in the law" for speeding.
    But there surely is allowance for interpretation of the law under individual circumstances. That's why, if you ask a cop who is not involved in issuing you a ticket, whether you should plead guilty or go to court the answer (most of the time) is go to court, especally if serious points are involved. Miracles can happen when you're advised by someone who kows what to say in court.

Once, I got caught doing 84 in a 50 zone. A very serious infraction but it was a mistake rather than intent. I ended up with 10 over the speed limit, no points. I was coached by a cop before the court date.

Now, I don't want to create an impression I'm a crazy speeder. In fact, if I could I'd much prefer to take pubic transpot but in Canada it really sucks or is nonexistent. I do 90 in an 80 zone every single work day. Not a km less not a km more, as far as I can tell by my cruise control. I've been doing this for 13 years 10 months and 19 days so far. So technically I speed even though I appear to be among the slowest on the road. There are two shorter stretches of the road with 50km limit. I do 58 in those. There is a cop on that road at least twice a month. Never a problem.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by JustSomeGuy View Post

Wouldn't this then reduce the incidence of speeders?
      in that specific area yes, and those in that area can rejoice.
      5mins down the road the drivers speed up and the neighbouring community has the problem.

problem solved?
      [insert something witty here]

Comment

The insurance thing has really held me back to be more sencible in my driving. I had a few unfortunate things happen. It really hurt to the point my wife's insurance said no your not driving her car or we will double her insurance too. Ok ok I will stop. I slowed way down. I am just getting out from under that mess now and starting to get more reasonable rates. I will hav emy 6 star rating back in Jan. My wife i was told has a 9 star rating with her ins. SO I will be asking to be put on her ins again so I can drive her car. Its a real PITA when that crap happens let me tell you. I just had a $280 reduction a year on mine. That feels good.
        https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

Originally posted by beakie View Post

in that specific area yes, and those in that area can rejoice.
          5mins down the road the drivers speed up and the neighbouring community has the problem.

problem solved?
          I am doubtful that a 100% solution is possible but will keep an open mind in this regard.
          If the area 5 min down the road becomes the problem, they can then move the policing 5 mins down the road. Police in the problem areas...

Comment

I'm sitting with 2 ex police officers here.

both agree, no where in the HTA does it say you are legally allowed to speed.
            officer discretion is deciding factor on whether you get away with it or ticketed.
            but under no circumstances can you speed, legally.
            [insert something witty here]

Comment

In terms of having to speed. What about that guy in toronto a few years back that had to run for his life and his family's life. He was surrounded by a gang of bikers and ran one bike over to escape the group. They caught upto him broke his window and bea the crap out of him. Where were the cops? Where were regular citisins to help him? No where around it was on the gardner expressway and he didnt have a hope in hell of getting away.
              https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

This thread has been closed due to uncivil behaviour. Please direct any questions to a member of the moderating team. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X