Which one to keep

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which one to keep

I purchased both of these planes yesterday for $10 a piece. I really don't think either of them are worth much more. But I sharpened both irons and while the bottom one has the screw adjustment and a so called lateral adjuster I think I'm going to keep the top one. Just less fiddly.
    The top one is a Stanley 12-116 and the bottom a 12-220.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Which one to keep

I think I have both those planes. I tend to collect them though lol. I should clean a few of them up and sell them. I have one that is real beat up the sole is scratched really bad. I should see if it will work in the scew rabet plane I bought.
    https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

I have both of those. They are not the same. The top one is a standard angle (20 degree bed); it is a little finicky to set up the blade but once it's ready it works OK. I use it for softwoods, it leaves a fairly nice finish but I'm not sure I'd use it on hardwoods to make fine furniture. The bottom one is low-angle (12 degree bed), and I find it easier to use because it fits better in the hand (especially given that these little planes are one-handed planes) so everything is lower (applied force and center of gravity) which means less chatter. They are both nice little planes.
      Wally in Calgary likes this.
      Frank
      SPCHT

Comment

If I were making that decision I would fit the knob from the upper plane to the lower one and keep the lower one.it is a low angle and IMHO a much more versatile block plane . I collect planes for fun but my working block plane is a low angle with a Ron Hock iron

Comment

The low angle plane would be the more versatile plane of the two, once it is repaired, but neither one is a a super star as block planes go. The non-adjustable mouth is a major downside to these planes. Stanley has made much better block planes such as the ones Lee Valley currently list and even so, they require quite a bit of fettling before they are ready to go to work. For $10 each, I think that you bought an interesting project.

My 2 cents

Ken

Comment

Working...
          X