best cordless circular saw - winter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best cordless circular saw - winter

Hi all, I am needing to cut up many pallets for my work , without a power source, and in winter (cold sucks battery strength I assume) - mostly spruce pallets like in the attached 2 pics .... I am basically cutting off the 1 x 6 boards away from studs on the pallets ... I have never used one so I have no idea what these tools can do in winter, and I have no idea whether cordless circular saws have the power make these cuts, so i thought I'd try to ask, I am assuming they can, but maybe don't know how many cuts, how many pallets per new battery (in my pics for example, each pallet would need 28 cuts) ... also if you think any average cordless circular saw will do it before I try to buy one with a couple of batteries, and if so, if you might be able to recommend a few middle of the road brands - (mastercraft? ridgid? milwaukee? ryobi? )

- the only affordable "good" brand seems to be this makita 6 1/2 inch :
    https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1...000720589.html

- I also attached a pic of the kind of pallets i am usually needing to cut up. , what i have been doing is dragging the whole pallets home and using a power corded skill saw ... its too much hauling and needing to burn too much left overs ...

... here is winnipeg's used circular saw kijiji page too - https://www.kijiji.ca/b-winnipeg/ski...700192?dc=true

thanks ... whatever little bit of feedback is appreciated, short or long
    cheers
    Eddy
    thinner pallet a bit thicker
    Last edited by EDDYDEE; 11-19-2017, 10:03 PM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: best cordless circular saw - winter

I have this one;
    https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.m...utoSuggest=pip

and I am impressed with it's cutting capability but it seemed to eat the battery pretty quickly in 2x12 pt wood this summer.

You may be better to invest in a powerbox inverter AC power source so you can use regular 120v tools where there is no power as you already have a circular saw. I got one this year, supposedly unused but it would appear the batteries need to be changed, probably it froze when uncharged. I could still use it with a vehicle battery though.
    Rob
    EDDYDEE likes this.

Comment

I have an 18V Ryobi ONE+ circular saw (5-1/2"?), and although I haven't used it much (it's real handy if doing a few cuts), I doubt that a full battery would handle much more than one or two pallets, even in 3/4" spruce. The Makita in your link would probably be much better quality, especially with the 4.0 Ah battery. However, with $139 for the saw, and another $188 for a battery and charger, and I would want a second battery with whatever system you went with, it's not going to be cheap.

...Wayne

Comment

cordless circular saws eat the battery fairly quickly. I guess you can do a few pallets before the battery gives up. If you have to do frequently and routinely maybe buy a small generator and use your corded circular saw.
        EDDYDEE likes this.
        Remember, we are here to share, learn, and enjoy. Relax.

Comment

thanks for the milwaukee tip / ... wonderign though; you can attach a power tool to a car battery with a powerbox inverter AC power source ?

Comment

yes you can, I have not needed it yet so have not done it.
            Rob
            EDDYDEE likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I have the Dewalt 18v. It kills the battery so quick, I very rarely use it anymore. If I had many (20 skids) I’d probably use the chainsaw, if electricity was not available for a corded Skil saw.
              For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
              Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Working...
              X