Family Crest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Crest

I finished carving a family crest for our son's 40th birthday coming up this week. Whew! Just barely got it completed in time!

As you can see I'm a novice carver, but enjoyed the process.

Butternut crest, mounted to a piece of quilted cherry. Spray finish of Target Coating's EM2000.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Schlosser Family Crest Andrew.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	1150040
    All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans (formerly Kingston Woodworkers Ass'n) Website: https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/
    & member of the Kingston Woodturners Association
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Family Crest

It looks great Marty. Can you describe it to us? I see the key, the knights helmet, the two five-leafed flowers, but I'm having a hard time deciding if the items coming up the sides are leafed vines or ?? they almost looked like leafed serpents?

cheers

Comment

Hey, John,

Based on your comment, it's pretty clear that I've overestimated my expertise level!

The Schlosser family crest is actually a key with two edelweiss flowers. The rest of it was taken from a carving book by a highly accomplished carver by the name of Butz, which has the knight's helmet surmounted by two arms. The "items coming up the sides" as you've put it, are supposed to be leafed vines. And, of course, the family name is carved into the ribbon beneath.
      All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans (formerly Kingston Woodworkers Ass'n) Website: https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/
      & member of the Kingston Woodturners Association

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFromKingston View Post
        Hey, John,

Based on your comment, it's pretty clear that I've overestimated my expertise level!

The Schlosser family crest is actually a key with two edelweiss flowers. The rest of it was taken from a carving book by a highly accomplished carver by the name of Butz, which has the knight's helmet surmounted by two arms. The "items coming up the sides" as you've put it, are supposed to be leafed vines. And, of course, the family name is carved into the ribbon beneath.
        Ok, you did good! I missed the two arms above the helmet, but the rest is pretty clear. The leafed vines look like as they should but they also have (to my eye) a bit of the serpent or dragon about them.

Nice work!! I have a set of carving tools, but I haven't used them yet. The last carving I did was a basket weave into the stock and foregrip on an old Cooey 12ga I once owned. I did that with a pocket knife. You may have motivated me into trying it again!

cheers

Comment

Nice Marty.

Noel
          "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
          'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
          "
          John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

I think the carving looks great! I'd love to be able to do something like that.

If I may say, I think I would have mounted it on a more contrastive piece of wood. Not sure whether the mount should be lighter (say, maple?) Or darker (walnut?) But I do think there should be more difference between the two, if only to make the crest really "pop" ! Just my $0.05.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Its easy to to be critical of ones own work and its not good to be under pressure when attempting such things, I think most of us would be happy to come some where near what you have done here, I just hope it is treasured and appreciated for many years to come 'cos not much is these days in this through away age.
              It would be interesting to know the process you went through as in the planning for this, and is it a separate piece from the back board if so did you cut it off after the carving, I can see a lot of thought went into it.
              Just a lovely piece of work.

Comment

Working...
              X